Firstly, the necessary supplies are a 40x30mm metal base, some .025" galvanized wire (music or piano wire), Gorilla superglue gel, needle-nosed pliers, and wire cutters. I don't want my helos all "flying" at exactly the same altitude, so I cut my wires at varying lengths between 4" and 5".
then tighten the curl up so you have a small "curly-cue", like this:
Then texture the base, a bit thicker than usual, both to cover the wire and to add weight to the base so it won't topple over.
Lastly, paint the model, wire, and textured base and then flock it. I find that painting the wire black is the least intrusive color.
Originally, I would prime and paint the stand and the helicopter model separately, then glue them together, but I learned that the model was very easily broken off the stand. It was because the superglue was holding together only two micro-thin layers of paint. There was no metal to metal contact. Since I began to use the above method, the joint has proved much stronger. I think this will work well for smaller 1/285 helicopters too, but a bigger gauge wire would be a good idea, as well as a larger base, since the models are heavier and would need to be higher off the table.
All in all, not a fantastic method, but it'll do until I find something better.